The POLY graph

12.18.2004

aftermath friday

Plot thickens for Charles, and for that matter, the rest of the Poly teachers. On Friday, I had a pre-arranged meeting with Tim, the Vice-Director, to discuss his observations of my evening classes. He had nothing but good things to say about what he saw, and early on in the meeting, he changed the its focus.

He asked me my opinion on the morale of the evening teachers. I told him that it is lower than the morale of the daytime staff. There are more daytime teachers, therefore more personalities willing to help deflect and manage the stress of the job. In the evening, there are only three teachers, including myself, and to be frank, our personalities when put together don't have what it takes to create a positive synergy.

I told Tim that Charles rejoices when students don't show up for the evening classes. He has shown that he is more excited about having a break than about teaching. Those kinds of comments indicate immaturity towards the job and a lack of concern towards maintaining student enrollment. I stated further that Charles's pressuring me to leave work early with him made me feel uncomfortable and is a sign of Charles's lack of professionalism. I said other things as well, but Tim was mainly interested about the atmosphere in the evening.

Towards the end of the meeting, Tim said that there are going to be changes made fairly soon to address the issues we discussed. I asked him to elaborate. He said that Charles and Anthony are not going to receive any extra salary for teaching the Winter Intensive. The original agreement was that they they come in early and teach the classes for extra salary. Furthermore, they will not be given the option to decline, but rather required to teach them. If they decide not to, then they will be asked to leave. He also said that some evening classes will be closed, and that anyone having a break will be given work to do. He said that these plans are tentative, and are not exactly set yet.

I will be very curious to see what the overall reactions of the teachers will be towards the upcoming changes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home