The POLY graph

7.18.2004

upgraded apartment

The lack of posting this time is because I've recently moved to a bigger and better apartment.  I moved into the new place this weekend and have spent time cleaning it.  A new place means having to wait for the internet guy again to install service in the apartment... a small price to pay for being in a comfortable place for a year.  As for the other updates...
 
I have vacation time coming soon, and I would like to travel to Thailand.  I am waiting on my friend who lives in Thailand to return my email, so that I can make travel arrangements.  I would not like to waste my vacation time by not traveling to some exotic place and having a nice and relaxing time.  Hopefully in the next day or two, my friend will contact me and I can stay with him for a week in Bankok.  I'll tour around during the day while he works, and then when he is finished with his work, he can show me all the great spots he's discovered so far.  C'mon Jeremy, write!
 
While I've been waiting, I am slowly adjusting to POLY's robust curriculum.  I have story to share, albeit a small one.  One of the great things about working for POLY is the paid preparation time for the classes I teach.  I have two hours each day to prepare for 8 classes.  I am very appreciative of this time; I can think of different ways of teaching the material so that the students can relate to the new material.  A question I wondered about was what were to happen if I did not have a class properly prepped.  Last Thursday, I got my answer.
 
On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I teach two science courses.  I've never taught science before, so I am really having to stretch myself with these classes.  Last Thursday, I thought I had enough of the material and supplementary matieral prepared, but I was very wrong.  The children blew right threw the material and the supplementary stuff.  After sensing that I did not have much else left for them, they took it upon themselves to occupy their time by being children, completely rambuntious and disruptive.  I could not scold them, nor could I blame them for their behavior.  I did not have the lesson prepared for them, and this was their way of telling me that the lesson is not a good one.  The class ended with little homework and the children in very chatty mood.  I promised myself on Friday, I would not make the same mistake, and I didn't.  I feel more comfortable with my Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule because its purely English subjects.
 
On a positive side to this job, I don't think I will get bored at this job anytime soon.
 
One last note, my weblog is still being blocked by the Korean government.  Yay censorship!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home