The POLY graph

2.16.2005

middle school monsters

Sometimes I feel like the title, "Middle School Monsters" is the perfect euphemism to describe a few of the middle school students I teach in the evenings. To be specific, I abhor the last class I teach on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The class of three seventh graders (two of which are girls) resemble the type of teenage defiance, arrogance, and rudeness I remember from my own middle school experience. Tonight is a prime example of why the euphemism fits.

Wednesday night is grammar class, and I normally check each student's previous grammar homework for errors or mistakes. If a student does not do their homework, then I record the missing homework. Once the student misses three assignments, a letter to the parent is sent home, after four, then a phone call home. If a student does half the homework, then I normally record it as a half assignment not done, yet this is entirely at my discretion according to the head teacher. I try to be fair and generous with all my students, especially if they are well-behaved and sincere.

I checked the first student's grammar homework. Most of it is done; I think about letting it slide. She does not have her Monday's homework assignment either. I record it as a full mark, giving her three. The defiance begins, and asks me why a full mark. I tell her because she does not have her homework complete, and she does not Monday's. This silences her for now. I move on to the next student -the rudest one.

When a student is absent, their responsibility is to have it the next time they come to class. The second student was absent. She did not have Monday's homework either. Her excuse was that once a due date for homework is past, then she is no longer responsible for it. I put her in check, and record it as a full mark. The defiance begins.

A writing part of her grammar homework is incomplete, and I ask her about it. She says that I am mistaken and suggests I look again. I say the directions run contrary to her interpretation of the assignment. She asks me why should she write it. I tell her that grammar rules are useless if not applied, and asked if she ever used the rule in her writing. She says no. I ask her about another part. She says that she did not understand it. I ask her if she understood that part when we covered it in class. She says no. I then ask why she didn't ask me any questions at that time. No response. I toy with the idea of giving two marks.

The third student's homework is complete. He doesn't speak much in class, only when called upon to answer a question. I always find him in the library looking at books during break time. He never sits in the classroom when he doesn't have to be in there, and he is always the first to leave when class is finished. Sometimes I think I can understand some of his reasons.

I start tonight's lesson: direct/indirect quotes and business letter writing. Silence as usual. After I complete the lesson, the first and second student show that they are still fuming by asking me more questions that imply inconsistency about the way I record incomplete homework assignments. I elucidate my reasons. Not good enough. I begin to lose my patience with the way their impudent line of questioning. Instead of taking the high road as any mature teacher would, I fire back with a remark that shows disrespect can be a two-way street. My comment silences them.

Just five more classes, then I'll become a kindergarten teacher again. I will mainly teach kindergarten science. I can hardly wait!

1 Comments:

At 3:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't recollect well, but I think I didn't become a defiant student until I had been in high school a year or two. I was a sweet little bookish middle schooler. Way to put em in their place Pete! Also, teaching kindergardener's science is important! A kid in my kindergarden class left a magnifying glass by the window and it set the room on fire over the weekend! You can't let that sort of thing happen! Kinderscience Pete TM!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home